Toum is a Lebanese garlic paste/sauce that perfectly accompany grilled meat dishes. It is quite strong, so it’s perfect for garlic lovers.
(Makes generous 1 cup)
- ½ head of large garlic
- 1/8 tsp coarse salt
- 1 cup light vegetable oil (sunflower/safflower)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbs iced water (if needed)
- Immersion blender
- Tall blending jar (usually comes with the blender or use any tall, thin jar)
- Place the garlic, salt, lemon juice, vegetable oil the jar. Submerge an immersion blender in the mixture to the bottom of the jar.
- Turn on the blender and move it up and down to mix well. It should emulsify immediately. Continue blending until the mixture reaches a texture similar to mayonnaise, about 1 minute.
- If it doesn’t emulsify, try adding the iced water.