Easy, healthy option for side dish
- 300g rotini pasta (spiral)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine/balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms (sautee with butter and garlic)
- 1/2 cup chopped green/red pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup broccoli (chopped into small florets and blanched)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- A few slices of pepperoni – or other meat slices of choice (diced and fried until crispy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rotini pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Whisk together, oil, vinegar, garlic powder, basil and oregano in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked pasta, oil mixture and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Longer time will produce better taste. Serve cold.
For variation, you can add cherry tomatoes and olive.
Using balsamic vinegar will discolor the pasta slightly.