- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 950ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the red bell peppers by placing them over or under an open flame until they blacken on all sides. (You can use a grill, cooktop gas burner, or oven broiler.) Place the blackened peppers in a large bowl and cover with cling wrap and let steam for 10 minutes or until skins are easily peel off. Peel off the skin, remove the seeds and chop roughly.
- Heat the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes and cook another 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic and roasted peppers. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are soft.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until very smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- Return to a clean pot set over low heat. Add the cream, stir well and taste. Add some cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.